Born: Groningen, The Netherlands
Lives: Groningen, The Netherlands
Aimee Terburg (1971) is a visual artist who graduated Cum Laude at Minerva Art Academy in Groningen (NL). As a process-based painter she reflects on the formal language of the abstract art of painting and its arising dualities.
Her process-based work characterizes itself by a precise making. The painting surfaces appear to be manufactured but are carefully handpainted. She uses acrylic paint in thin layers to construct 'spontaneous' brushstrokes or deconstruct colour fields by removing parts before they dry.
The time limit of acrylic is short. Coincidences in the process of painting -when selected- are embraced. They are repeated, rehearsed and incorporated as technique although the result still can'ÂÂÂt be predicted completely. These inimitable results of the one-go methods conflictingly refer to the graphic arts or analogue photography and their aspect of multiplication, therefore depicting time in a way.
Starting from that challenge in procedure and time, she researches the dynamics of the arising dualities with the formal language of abstract art and its history. By making geometric interventions and sometimes accentuating the painting as an object, her work simultaneously refers to the spatial effect of the traditional 'foreground - background', (graphic) design and minimal art. The context with known imagery is made in a historical and modern way. Aimee Terburg masterly constructs metamodern dualities; paintings that question their appearance with minimal means.
- Summer Exhibition 2014
Royal Academy of Arts, Burlington House, London, United Kingdom
- Edges to Emptiness
Dosenfabrik Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
- Straight, Curved and Stretched
Hein Elferink contemporary art, Staphorst, The Netherlands
- Pop Construit
ParisCONCRET, Paris, France
- Nominee International Solo Award, Spring Exhibition 2014
Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Biennial Nordwest Art Price 2013 - the Nominees
Kunsthalle Wilhelmshaven, Wilhelmshaven, Germany
- MANIAC (Multi-media, Artist Network, Idea exchange, And Collaboration): Manic episode #4
T.A.S., Groningen, The Netherlands
- van der Aa, Richard. "ParisCONCRET", ParisCONCRET (5 years of exhibitions in images)
- "Catalogue Spring Exhibition 2014 (40 artists)", Spring Exhibition 2014, Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Copenhagen (DK)
- Smets, Sandra. "Pointing Elsewhere 2014", Summer Studio CBK Zeeland NL
- Royal Acadamy of Arts. "Summer Exhibition Illustrated 2014 (177 selected artists)", Royal Acadamy of Arts, 191 pages, 24 x 19,5 cm, ISBN 978-1-910350-10-2
- "Anonymously chosen: New masters of the lowlands", Catalogue Summer Exhibition 2011, Waanders/ d'jonge Hond, ISBN 9789089102638
- Terburg, Aimee. "Camions", Camions, 55 full colour photos, 112 pages, 27,5 x 22 cm x 1,6 cm, ISBN 978-90-812311-1-4, Nur 653
- Nomination International Solo Award
Kunsthal Charlottenborg, Spring Exhibition, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Nomination Nordwest Art Price 2013
Kunsthalle Wilhelmshaven, Biennial, Wilhelmshaven, Germany
Materiaalfonds, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Basis stipendium / Individual art grant
Fund for Visual Arts, Design, Architecture Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands